LIFE, fashion, animals, nom nom's and a sprinkle of DIY :)

Sunday, July 13, 2014

DIY Custom Engraved Nail & Yarn Sign

Custom Wedding Sign


I wanted to make something super special for my friend so I decided on a custom wedding sign with mixed media aspects :)

Materials:
-Large piece of MDF (Medium Density fiberboard)
-Hand held router
-Small finishing nails
-Yarn
-Hammer
-Paint

My husband convinced me to use MDF because he says it "cuts like butter".  He was helping me out with the routing so I went with his choice of board!


The first thing I did was paint the board a nice basic white color.

Then I had to decide on size, font and layout.  I printed everything out, cut them out and traced them onto the board.

Then I handed the board off to my wonderful husband who routed out all the numbers.


After I got the board back I taped my letters loosely down onto the board making sure to use something that wouldn't pick up the paint.


Then it was hammer time!


After I outlined the letters I ripped out the paper leaving only the nails.  Make sure not to hammer the nails all the way through the board.  I made sure at least 1/3 were sunk into the MDF.


Finally I wound the yarn organically around the nails making sure the lines were abstract.  Also I made sure to outline the letters at the very beginning of twinning to give them definition.


And there you have a custom wedding sign!



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice piece of information!!!! No Soliciting Sign, which can be displayed prominently is a polite and yet effective way of letting people know that smoking in a certain area. When you see these different signs you can be sure that while some will have words addressing the matter others will merely point this situation out in picture format. Keep on sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete